Few days ago I finally decided to install Ivritex-1.2.1 on my system. I’m running a tetex-3.0. The new version of Ivritex includes some very important improvements and, at least for me, the most important thing is support for the Culmus fonts. tetex-3.0 introduced a major directory change which cause many problem with installing packages which are unaware of the changes. In this post I will try to walk through the installation process.
TEXMF will be the directory of you local TeX tree (usually /usr/share/texmf). Before Begining the installation process make sure you have the Culmus fonts installed. Apparently Culmus is not optional it’s a requirement. I’ll assume that your Culmus fonts are installed in /usr/share/fonts/culmus.
- Download the ivritex-1.2.1 source-code from here .
- Extract the archive into a temporary directory.
- Save the diff file below a file named “Makefile_patch” and save it inside ivritex-1.2.1/fonts/culmus .
- Apply the patch by going to the ivritex-1.2.1/fonts/culmus directory (under the directory where you extracted the source archive) and executing “patch Makefile_patch. The patch will alter the places where some file will be installed.
- As root execute “updmap –enable Map culmus.map”.
- Still as root execute “mktexlsr”.
- Ivritex 1.2.1 should be installed now.
--- Makefile 2007-02-14 19:59:52.000000000 +0200 +++ Makefilenew 2007-02-16 10:11:07.000000000 +0200 @@ -20,8 +20,8 @@ vf_target = $(TEX_ROOT)/fonts/vf/culmus # this is where ivritex will eventually be: tex_target = $(TEX_ROOT)/tex/generic/babel -encode_dir = $(TEX_ROOT)/dvips/base -dvips_cfg_dir = $(TEX_ROOT)/dvips/config +encode_dir = $(TEX_ROOT)/fonts/enc/dvips/base +map_dir = $(TEX_ROOT)/fonts/map/ sysconf = $(DESTDIR)/etc updmap_dir = $(sysconf)/texmf/updmap #culmus_target = $(PREFIX)/fonts/culmus @@ -137,11 +137,11 @@ mkdir -p $(sysconf)/texmf/updmap.d echo "Map culmus.map" >$(sysconf)/texmf/updmap.d/10culmus.cfg else - mkdir -p $(dvips_cfg_dir) - cp culmus.map $(dvips_cfg_dir)/ + mkdir -p $(map_dir) + cp culmus.map $(map_dir)/ ifeq ($(tetex_ver),2) # this should run mktexlsr as well - $(updmap) --enable Map $(dvips_cfg_dir)/culmus.map + $(updmap) --enable Map $(map_dir)/culmus.map else # for tetex-1 ifeq ($(tetex_ver),1) # TODO: fill in sed line here